Thursday

On Designing a Curriculum

It took a little longer than I expected, but I've finally finished writing my video production curriculum. This spring I'm teaching two classes in two very different programs, so I couldn't cut and paste and cheat. (ha!) I had to dig deep for new ideas and also spent some time revising successful past projects.

One thing I've learned has become my keystone for writing digital video curriculum:
Students learn best by doing. Nowadays I try to stand back as much as possible and let them figure it out. When I was just starting out I spent a lot of time showing them how and explaining long lists of do's and don'ts. (Of course I didn't know it then, but I was actually spending a lot of time boring the students instead of engaging them.)

For example, I get the camera into their hands on day one. I'll quickly review inserting tapes and how to start/stop the camera. Then I send them out with a worksheet or to do list. They have a fixed amount of time to shoot and then bring the footage back to the whole class to review. While they shoot, I hover and watch what they're doing. If a student hesitates, stalls or asks me to tell them what to do, I might ask them a question like, "I don't know, what do YOU think you should do here?"

So what's your keystone? What do you start with as you design your curriculum?

No comments:

Resources for iTeachers

Digital and Video News